Sail with SEAS — the best value on the Hudson!
Whether you’re a first-timer, or an experienced sailor in need of a refresher, our $195 Basic Sailing Course is a great, affordable way to learn the basics and get on the water! You'll receive SIX hands-on sailing classes, with all equipment provided, and instructed by nationally-certified Basic Sailing instructors:
- 4 Evening Classes: Learn sailing terms, aerodynamics and hydrodynamics, points of sail, sail trim, rigging, launching, mooring, rules of the road, boat handling and boating safety. We'll provide in-classroom training via interactive sessions, instructional videos, models and actual boats, a swimming test, and of-course, knot-tying exercises!
- 2 Weekend Sailing Classes: Put sailing theory into practice on the water! You'll rig (set up) sailboats and experience the concepts of wind-powered boating. At all times, instructors supervise from motorized safety boats, with experienced members sailing alongside for on-the-water coaching. All equipment provided — sailboats (Sunfish, Phantoms, Laser), rigging, life-jackets.
Everything taught in our course provides the skills to sail a small boat, preparing you for a larger craft. Students must be 18 years or older or accompanied by a parent, in reasonable physical condition and able to swim. Sailing classes held at Kingsland Point Park, Kathryn Davis Pavilion, in beautiful Sleepy Hollow, NY.
Your $195 course fee also includes SEAS annual membership, which gains you access to summer-long “open sails” on weekends and evenings (once you’ve passed the course), as well as year-round events with your fellow sailors (see below calendar). For experienced sailors and returning students, annual membership fee is only $60.
Each SEAS course includes 6 classes: 4 evening classroom-sessions and 2 weekend full-day water-sessions (dates subject to change with weather). Register now!
Course #1: Wed 5/18, Wed 5/25, Wed 6/1, Sat 6/4 (water), Wed 6/8, Sat 6/11 (water) - sold out!
Course #2: Thu 6/23, Thu 6/30, Thu 7/7, Sat 7/9 (water), Thu 7/14, Sat 7/16 (water) - sold out!
Course #3: Tues 7/26, Tues 8/2, Tues 8/9, Sat 8/13 (water), Tues 8/16, Sat 8/20 (water) - sold out!
SEAS Basic Sailing Course includes:
- 4 evening classroom sessions (weeknights), ~2.5 hours each — includes swimming test.
- 2 full sailing/training days on the Hudson River (Saturdays), building your sailing skills — additional sailing/training sessions as necessary to complete coursework
- Sailing textbook
- Final testing and sailing certification
- All equipment usage (Sunfish/Phantom sailboat, sailing rigging, lifejackets)
- Current year’s membership (upon course completion) - allows you to join “open sails” for duration of the season, and attend social events.
SEAS members participate in summer-long "open sails" — on weekends and weeknights. We also host year-round social events, speaker sessions, fleet maintenance/instruction and larger sailing outings. Schedule is frequently updated (see calendar below), Sign up for notifications via email and Facebook
- Open Sails: TBA; Typically held on Saturdays and Sundays, with after-work "sunset" sails held on summer weeknights
- Instructors' Lunch: April 10, 2016 (Sunday); Our instructors and experienced sailors prepare to train the next generation of SEAS sailors. Want to help? Contact us!
- Fleet Maintenance/Instruction: TBA; From prepping new boats, laying down moorings, to testing/organizing gear, come learn from experienced members about the inner-workings of sailing and boats
- Tarrytown Farmer's Market: TBA; We'll bring a sailboat to Patriot's Park to share our SEAS experiences with the Community and get new members!
- Information Sessions: Tarrytown & Croton TBA; Sharing our experience with local communities for new members!