Sail with SEAS — the best value on the Hudson!
Whether you’re a first-timer, or an experienced sailor in need of a refresher, our $269 Basic Sailing Course is a great, affordable way to learn the basics and get on the water! You'll receive SIX hands-on sailing classes, with all equipment provided, and instructed by nationally-certified Basic Sailing instructors:
- 4 Evening Classes: Learn sailing terms, aerodynamics and hydrodynamics, points of sail, sail trim, rigging, launching, mooring, rules of the road, boat handling and boating safety. We'll provide in-classroom training via interactive sessions, instructional videos, models and actual boats, a swimming test, and of-course, knot-tying exercises!
- 2 Weekend Sailing Classes: Put sailing theory into practice on the water! You'll rig (set up) sailboats and experience the concepts of wind-powered boating. At all times, instructors supervise from motorized safety boats, with experienced members sailing alongside for on-the-water coaching. All equipment provided — sailboats (Sunfish, Phantoms, Laser), rigging, life-jackets.
Everything taught in our course provides the skills to sail a small boat, preparing you for a larger craft. Sailing classes held at Kingsland Point Park, Kathryn Davis Pavilion, in beautiful Sleepy Hollow, NY.
Students must be 18 years or older, in reasonable physical condition and able to swim. Students 13-17 years old must weigh at least 65 pounds (minimum safe weight to pilot our Sunfish), and must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times - in the classroom and on the boat - who are also registered for the course.
Your course fee also includes SEAS annual membership, which gains you access to summer-long “open sails” on weekends and evenings (once you’ve passed the course), as well as year-round events with your fellow sailors (see below calendar). For experienced sailors and returning students, we offer an affordable annual membership fee.
Each SEAS course includes 6 classes: 4 evening classroom-sessions and 2 weekend full-day water-sessions (dates subject to change with weather). Register now!
- Course A: Wed 5/24, Wed 5/31, Wed 6/7, Sat 6/10 (water), Wed 6/14, Sat 6/17 (water)
- Course B: Thu 6/22, Thu 6/29, Thu 7/6, Sat 7/8 (water), Thu 7/13, Sat 7/15 (water)
- More summer 2017 courses to be announced!
SEAS Basic Sailing Course includes:
- 4 evening classroom sessions (weeknights), ~2.5 hours each — includes swimming test.
- 2 full sailing/training days on the Hudson River (Saturdays), building your sailing skills — additional sailing/training sessions as necessary to complete coursework
- Sailing textbook
- Final testing and sailing certification
- All equipment usage (Sunfish/Phantom sailboat, sailing rigging, lifejackets)
- Current year’s membership (upon course completion) - allows you to join “open sails” for duration of the season, and attend social events.
SEAS members participate in summer-long "open sails" — on weekends and weeknights. We also host year-round social events, speaker sessions, fleet maintenance/instruction and larger sailing outings. Schedule is frequently updated (see calendar below), Sign up for notifications via email and Facebook
- Open Sails: TBA; Typically held on Saturdays and Sundays, with after-work "sunset" sails held on summer weeknights
- Instructors' Lunch: May 6, 2017 (Sunday); Our instructors and experienced sailors prepare to train the next generation of SEAS sailors. Want to help? Contact us!
- Fleet Maintenance/Instruction: TBA; From prepping new boats, laying down moorings, to testing/organizing gear, come learn from experienced members about the inner-workings of sailing and boats
- Tarrytown Farmer's Market: May 27, 2017 (Saturday); We'll bring a sailboat to Patriot's Park to share our SEAS experiences with the Community and get new members!
- Information Sessions: Tarrytown & Croton TBA; Sharing our experience with local communities for new members!